Breeding Lucidity

In vivo. In vitro.
Friday, August 24, 2012
Strawmen

There are times when you strongly believe in the concept of leap of faith. It is interesting how everything gets explained away under the broad umbrella of faith. But when do you take this leap? Retrospectively, everything makes sense. Anyway, that's just the basic line of thought that's been occupying my mind today.

Apart from that, I discovered the Strawman argument today. It is a weirdly happy feeling when one gets to finally define something which has happened to you so succinctly. In this case, it was wonderful to find that term that defines a person's style of argument. I am sure I've come across many people dishing out arguments doused in logical fallacies. Heck, I am sure I've dished a good many out on my own in order to win an argument. But this one person has forever taken words out of context, built a weaker, more vague argument similar to my position which was quite irrefutable and turned it against me. As I was reading the wikipedia entry (yes, you know, your go-to guide on all things new), it was almost like experiencing an a-ha moment after each sentence. As much joy as this whole discovery afforded me, I realised that it came a bit too late. But heck, next time I can call it when I see it! Or just stay away from people too friendly with the strawmen. 

Labels: , ,

posted by Ms.V @ 01:15  
2 Comments:
  • At 19:35, Blogger Fripouille said…

    Hi, I was just flipping through the list of bloggers who like photography and came across your profile, but the main reason I came to your blog was because you like "going bonkers". Hah! :)

    Anyway, about "strawman" arguments, I thought you might like to know that as someone who often comments on article comment threads in the British press I've often seen that term used, not so much because the argument WAS a strawman one, but because what the accuser really means is "I don't agree with you."

    It's been so used and abused that it has now become meaningless in Britain. Same for calling someone a "troll" or a "fascist" or something. They just mean "I don't agree with your point of view."

    Oh well, worse things happen at sea I suppose, and may I wish you an excellent day from France.
    Frip

     
  • At 22:00, Blogger Ms.V said…

    Ha ha. I don't even remember putting that up! But glad that's bringing in readers! :D

    I suppose that could be the case. I've given up on internet arguments. Earlier it was fun going through them but now anyone who disagrees with you should have something to do with a scenario that involves you, their mum, and some weird vegetable! :\

    For me the whole thing was noteworthy because I could finally articulate what I thought was the case. This was quickly followed by the next a-ha moment: naming the person a jerk a-la internet style! :)

    Thanks for dropping by. I went through your blog, quite hurriedly though :( Lovely photographs. Will definitely check it out as soon as some work's done.

    Thanks again!

    Cheers
    ..V

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

© 2006 Breeding Lucidity | Blogger Templates by Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without permission.
Learn how to Make Money Online at GeckoandFly

 


 

 



 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Web This Blog
About Me


Name: Ms.V

Home:

About Me:

See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
Lucidity Sold Here Too
Affiliates

Powered by Blogger
make money online blogger templates